Pros and Cons of OTC Teeth Whitening
Get pearly-white, perfectly aligned teeth with Better Dental. Be confident as you talk, smile, laugh, and present yourself with self-assurance to the world.
Know the pros and cons of teeth whitening
Many patients experiment with drugstore whitening systems before seeking out professional teeth whitening from their dentist. It is important to talk to your dentist before deciding to whiten your teeth.
- Not all whiteners are the same and many do not correct all types of discoloration include dark brown stains caused by coffee or smoking
- Whitening strips will not work on caps, veneers, crowns or fillings
- Some people who use teeth whiteners may experience mild to severe tooth sensitivity. That happens when the peroxide in the whitener gets through the enamel to the soft layer of dentin and irritates the nerve of your tooth
- Better Dental recommends pretreating your teeth to minimize sensitivity.
- If you have naturally sensitive teeth discuss options to reduce tooth sensitivity during the teeth whitening process with us.
- Overuse of whiteners can also damage the tooth enamel or gums, so be sure to follow directions and talk to us at BetterDental in Apex, NC
Drug Store Teeth Whitening Strips
Drug store whitening kits are relatively affordable, but contain a low strength formulas and require 20 or more rounds of treatment.The frequently produce blotchy results or leave the area of your tooth closest to the gum unbleached.
Adopting The Habits That Keep Your Teeth White
- Visit us for regular cleanings and checkups
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea, and red wine
- Avoid tobacco use. This includes not just smoking but also chewing or snuff.
- Consider your medications, some antihistamines, antipsychotics and high blood pressure medications may cause yellowing. Ask your doctor if you are concerned that your medication is causing yellowing.
- Trauma or other major health events such as cancer and Chemotherapy and radiation can discolor your teeth. In these situations discuss more advanced cosmetic dentistry options with your dentists.
Pain? Doest it hurt to whiten your teeth?
If you choose the wrong type of treatment, unfortunately it may hurt to whiten your teeth. It may even make you reluctant to whiten your teeth in the future. Choosing the right whitening system for your level of sensitivity is important for eliminating pain and maintaining healthy gums and tooth enamel.
If you’ve ever visited a drugstore, you’re aware of the many over the counter whitening solutions. These aren’t the most cost-effective method since their low strength formulas require many rounds of treatment, produce blotchy results and often just down right hurt to use.
Better Dental offers a variety of professional teeth whitening options, to fit anyone’s budget and timeline. However the Zoom system offers the most flexibility and all but eliminates any concerns about pain.
The safest most pain free way to whiten your teeth is under the supervision of a caring dental team who will assess your overall smile. For example, if we know that you are prone to sensitivity, we may recommend a gentle formulation to ensure you get the results you are looking for with a treatment that you will enjoy.
Get in Touch Today!
If you’re not sure what cosmetic procedure would address your concerns, our dentists will give you recommendations. Whatever option you choose, trust that our seasoned dentists will give you a beautiful set of pearly whites.
On top of that, you’ll enjoy your visit to our dental facilities. We have:
Let’s get you a winning smile! Book an appointment today.